Friday, October 18, 2013

20 Questions with a Saint


Senior Gina Cardenas (Auburn, Washington) is in her final campaign in a Saints uniform. The elementary education major currently leads the team in saves (42), starts (10) and shutouts. Cardenas ranks seventh in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference in goals against (1.58 per game) and save percentage (.726), while also ranking fourth in saves per game with 4.09. The Saints are currently 3-9 on the season after falling 3-1 to nationally ranked Western Washington University on Thursday. SMU will take the field again Saturday at 1 pm when they face Simon Fraser University. The last time the two squads met, the Saints were able to snag a road win, defeating the Clan 2-0 in Canada.



1.      If you could change one rule in your sport, what would it be?

-          More defined and consistent reasons for why a player is being charged with a foul

2.      What is one item you always take with you on the road?

-          My headphones so I can listen to music before the game

3.      What is one song on your iPod that would surprise people?

-          I have a lot of alternative and screamo music that I listen to before the game

4.      Name one fear that people might not know about you.

-          I’m afraid of the dark. I hate not knowing what’s there

5.      Who is the biggest jokester/prankster on the team?

-          Nikki Roberts

6.      What is one thing you wish you knew how to do?

-          I wish I could sing or dance

7.      What is your most prized possession of no value?

-          I have a tape recording of my dad’s voice on a cassette that someone gave to me

8.      If you could eat at any fast food restaurant right now, where would it be?

-          Taco Bell

9.      When not at practice, where can you most likely to be found?

-          At home in bed watching Netflix

10.  What one TV show do you watch that would surprise others?

-          I love SpongeBob Squarepants

11.  What was your first job?

-          I worked at Sears in Lacey as seasonal help

12.  Would you rather explore outer space, or the depths of the ocean?

-          Outer space

13.  What is your favorite cereal to eat?

-          Cinnamon Toast Crunch

14.  Most embarrassing athletic moment.

-          This year against Central Washington University I went to go take a goal kick and slipped and fell right on my butt in front of their students

15.  What one major sporting event would you like to attend?

-          The World Cup

16.  What is one of your pregame rituals or routines?

-          Just recently a girl on my high school team passed away and I put her initials on my gloves that let me know she’s looking down on me

17.  Who is your favorite professor you have had at SMU?

-          Dr. Mark Haddock (Professor in Education)

18.  What is your favorite road trip to take?

-          Going up north on the Western Washington and Simon Fraser trip because we get to stop at the outlet stores for 15 minutes and everyone is running around trying to go to as many stores as they can.  It’s also cool to be in Canada because we get to play in another country.

19.  Is there any significance to your jersey number?

-          I chose 18 because that was Hope Solo’s number when she started playing.

20.  What is the reason you decided to come to SMU?

-          I like the size of the classes and getting to know people in my class was a better fit for me.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment